27 July 2008

The Doyles Serving in Church

Last night St. Mark's (which is still standing by the way) had 5 out of 6 Doyle's serving during the 5:30 service. I really like the Saturday evening service--it's Rite 1 and a little higher service than Sunday morning--for that reason and because we are being taken over by children later today (see earlier blog), we went to church last night. The other bonus to the evening is they are usually in need of acolytes and Caroline in particular LOVES to serve on the altar. (She does say she wants to be an athleticite--but we know what she means!)

Yesterday I emailed our rector letting him know we would be at Saturday evening service and if he needed acolytes my children would be there. I get an email back saying yes he needs them and would I be the lector--not a problem.

I need to fill you in a little bit about the service. Although it is Rite I, it is casual in dress and a small number of parishioners; usually 20-25. Being a bit anal, however, Chris and I still can't find it within us to let the children go to church in play clothes, so we had the boys put on collared shirts and khakis, the girls threw on sun dresses and we were off--notice I didn't mention we checked their shoes!

We arrive at church 10 minutes early and the children head to the back to put on their robes (now why didn't we think about the fact that it didn't matter what they were wearing underneath the robes). Charles, our rector, asked me if I would also be willing to be the chalice bearer--again not a problem. Chris and I are then sitting in the pew enjoying the fact that there are not children fighting over who's sitting where, knocking hymnals and prayer books to the floor and "whispering" constantly to each other. The prelude begins and Anne, the associate rector, asks me to collect the offering. I tell her that Charles has already asked me to be the Lector and the chalice bearer; she quickly scans the prayer book and says it's possible to do all three.

The procession begins with each child carrying a lit candle. Remember I said it was a high service? Incense is also being brought down the aisle which you would know if you watched William try to hold his nose and carry the light at the same time. The procession moves up to the altar where I FINALLY notice that William has on crocs, Christopher has on athletic shoes, and Sarah Katherine has on not only flip flops, but the oldest pair she owns which are yellow and green with some sort of bangles on them--so much for appropriate dress! (Caroline, bless her heart, had on cute white sandals!)

Now the children aren't entirely sure what they are supposed to be doing, and I do believe that Charles "created positions for them" to avoid sibling fighting. They do a good job--remember to bow before the altar and don't catch anything on fire; so far so good. It comes time to read the Gospel. The children head behind the altar (thankfully not seen) to reignite the candles to process down with Anne for the reading of the Gospel. Anne walks to the altar and lifts the Bible where she then stands ALONE for a full 3 minutes which in church equals eternity. I'm not certain what shenanigans were going on, but I think there may have been battles over who lights the match. They process down into the congregation, Anne begins to read the Gospel and Caroline and William begin to make faces at each other! Fortunately they were behind Anne and I'm not sure many people saw as we are all good Episcopalians and don't sit in the front. After the sermon and the offering, I move to the chancel sitting across from the children. Again, they are doing fairly well; minor skirmishes, but hey they are children. We go to kneel for prayers of the people and suddenly I notice something is not right. Sarah Katherine is leaning dangerously to the right and frantically whispering to the boys. The boys are "whispering" back (I heard every word) "Stop bossing us around". I have always known her bossiness was going to back fire. She is still tilting and clearly now in some pain. I figure out what has happened. When the children put their kneelers down, Sarah Katherine's rope belt got caught between the two. The boys are kneeling with all 200 pounds of their weight and she can't move, the robe is cutting into her neck and here we are at the most Holy part of the service! After the prayers the rope is unstuck and we move forward for communion. All goes well--after we have given communion to all who come to the altar, I turn around, finish the cup of wine and distinctly hear William say, "She gets to drink all the leftover!" My friend swears to me she didn't hear it but how could you not? I guess it's the bionic ears I have to hear my children.

The blessing is given and Sarah Katherine and Christopher proceed to the top of the altar to extinguish the candles--I think they are supposed to do it simultaneously but as most things in our family it appears to have become a competition in speed. Sarah Katherine finishes a full 4 candles before Christopher. I sit in my pew terrified that in his haste to catch up he will knock over the 4 remaining lit candles, set the altar on fire and well, you can fill in the rest. But that doesn't happen; they process out with William giving us the peace sign heading down the aisle.

We move outside where several people tell me how angelic the children looked and acted and we must be so proud--they are either blind and deaf, good liars, or I'm too neurotic! I'd like to go with one of the first two, but I feel certain it's the later.

The children come skipping out asking, "When can we do that again?"

No comments: