18 July 2008

And there's even a gift

First please forgive all the background information, but it's important so that you know my frame of mind by the time evening came around.

Yesterday morning started out no crazier than any other--Christopher to football camp at 8, Sarah Katherine to ballet camp a bit early so that I could get to the dentist by 10 (keep in mind none of these places are close). And yes, William and Caroline did have to go to the dentist with me where they watched a continuous feed of how to brush your teeth and what happens to your gums if you don't. From there we scoot to the grocery store and to the gas station where I've earned 10 cents off a gallon. One more grocery store for seafood and then to pick Christopher up at 12. At this point I let the children know that I have a doctor's appointment that afternoon and they are going to have to go because Sarah Katherine will still be in ballet camp. (I already knew I would be late to get her so I left her with $10 and instructions to walk to the local coffee shop, read and wait.) Back to the story--you can imagine the groans that went up from all three. So, I tell them if they want to call Grandma and see if they can swim there while I'm gone that will be fine. Three cheers for Grandma!

I quickly do two loads of laundry, straighten the kitchen, find addresses for invitations to Caroline's and Christopher's birthday party and at 2:00 we're off to Grandma's. The cousins are there which makes it quite lively! I drop the children and head downtown to the doctor. I've been waiting for this appointment for 6 weeks. Finally I'm going to know the source of all my stomach pain--he's going to fill me in on all the tests--I'm as eager as I've ever been to see a doctor. But alas, it's not to be. Even after an appointment was set, a letter with the appointment on it was sent, and the previous day I received an automated call reminding me of the appointment, I sign in to discover that the doctor is out of town and someone forgot to let me know! Instead of being able to just leave and chalk it up to everyone makes mistakes, I am asked to wait for 25 minutes (note parking meter running) when finally I am told that they will fax my records to the doctor and he will call me. Back into the car and head out to get Sarah Katherine. We go back to Grandma's and though I had intended to not stay long--we did. Caroline and Grandma had run to the Valumart for a few things which included a pair of pink wire rimmed sunglasses for Caroline (now that detail is important). We had a great time laughing and playing by the pool--Grandma and my children were playing poker--interesting! Sarah Katherine is green with envy about the sunglasses. She has gone through 3 pairs in the last 4 months and apparently sunglasses are a must as an accessory for a soon to be 13 year old. Even more enticing is the fact that they are $15 sunglasses on sale for the low price of $1.99. Finally at 5:30 I realize that we must go home as Chris will be there soon and I've got to make dinner. Into the car we head--now for the real story.

As we get in the car Sarah Katherine pleads that we stop at Valumart (makes it sound like it's on the way home, but it's not). Fine, I say but you are to run in get them and run out. I completely forgot it's 5:30 and what Valumart was going to be like at that time. As we are waiting (for 22 minutes) I check our messages at home. There is a call from our neighbor inviting Caroline to go with them to their cousin's 4 year old birthday party. Please call us back and let us know the message says, but it doesn't give me a time for this shindig. I try calling both the home number and the cell phone but no answer. Since it is now 5:58 I assume they have left. Caroline is upset, Sarah Katherine feels a bit guilty but hey she's sporting new sunglasses! We arrive home to see the neighbors in the yard and to be told the party is not until 7:30 but they will leave at 7. Can Caroline go? Sure I reply--I'll get her some dinner (it's 6:11) and send her over. Into the house we go with Caroline saying what will we give her? At this point my eldest daughter's reasoning kicks in and I hear her whispering, "Caroline, just be happy you get to go. There's no way Mommy can go out and get a gift and get you dinner in 45 minutes" (actually I think to myself we're down to 37 minutes). But not wanting to disappoint my child, I sneak down to the basement where I have a drawer that used to be full of emergency gifts. Actually they are gifts that I find on sale over time and buy them up. I have not restocked this drawer since we moved back to the States. I dig in there behind the unfinished sewing projects and behold there is a small purse! Based on the price tag I assume I bought it to give as an adult gift, but it was back in 2001 so I'm fairly certain it's out of style, but not for a four year old! I also find a $1 jump rope which I tuck in there. Up the stairs to the girls and I ask Sarah Katherine to wrap it--Caroline smugly looks at her and as I leave the room I hear, "I knew she'd have a gift for me!"

Caroline shovels down some spaghetti and skips out the door with a lovely wrapped gift (thank you sunglass clad preteen). At least for one of my children I am still the mom who can do anything! (Now off to restock that drawer!)

No comments: