01 December 2014

Bark Collars Work on People--Caroline proved it.

It's been a crazy evening.  I worked late and had not done half of what I wanted at home.  I was the last to walk in the door--"Ya'll get a snack, dinner will be at least an hour."  I knew that because my neurosis kicked in on the drive home; I wanted to get laundry going; I needed to wrap a Christmas gift, and dinner involved a lot of chopping and sauteing.  "Caroline," I asked, "Can you wrap this present for Daddy to take to Jonathan?"  "No.  I've got a paper due.  But why are you using a glue stick?"  Caroline helpfully asked.  "Because I have no tape."  I answered thinking I should be congratulated for my innovative thinking, but alas that wasn't to be.

Chris left to take his Godson his Christmas present wrapped with a glue stick.  I began to saute dinner and Boss worked on his homework in the dining room declaring, "Jonathan would rather have comic books than Jesus books."  Just a regular night at the Doyle's.

I was talking to SK when Caroline came down.  She was, well, she was Caroline.  I finally said, "I've got to go.  Daddy just got home and I've got to get dinner on the table, and Caroline is being Caroline."  Chris came in and said, "He loved it but would have preferred a race car--just kidding."  And in that moment Caroline removed the bark collar from Bobby.  "Do you think this really hurts?"  "Yes," I responded, "That's why he doesn't bark when it's on."  Caroline, "I don't think it really does."  And with that, she stretched it around her neck and let out a loud bark.  "OWWWW! This really does work."  Chris, "Seriously, you thought it wouldn't?"  Caroline, "Well last time I did it, it didn't hurt like this.  I think I have a red mark."  Boss, "You do have a red mark."  Me interrupting, "Wait a minute, last time you did it?"  Caroline, "Yeah, one time I did it when SK was home.  It didn't hurt that much."  Me, "I can't believe you have a red mark. How are you going to explain that tomorrow?"  Caroline clearly no longer interested in this conversation, "Have you seen my crab face?"  She contorted her face into, who knows what--"Ouch that hurts where the bark collar got me."

Just another night at the Doyle's.....

No comments: