24 October 2013

We All Have Our Ways to Say Goodbye

Two weeks ago Sarah Katherine was leaving to go to South Carolina to visit her "bestie."  The boys went with me to take her to the airport.  On the way Christopher says, "We're just dropping her off right?  We don't have to go in?"  Sarah Katherine looked over at me trying to act very confident, I'm her Mama I could see right through it, and said, "If you don't have time you don't have to; I'll figure out how to get my ticket."  (This child has flown by herself for years as well as internationally; I suppose we all have our fears.)  "Christopher," I say, "We have plenty of time to take her in and still get you home.  We are all going in."  Christopher responded with a grin, "Probably means you'll make me carry her suitcase too."

So we all four went in (Christopher rolling her suitcase), checked her bag and got her ticket.  In years past I have often been allowed to walk her to the gate--guess since she's now 18 no one offered that.  After checking in we headed for security.  William carried her backpack and Sarah Katherine held my hand as I gave her one instruction after another about getting through security. "You'll have to take off your shoes; take your computer out; empty your pockets" All things she has known for years, but it felt better to be talking. Christopher, having walked over to Burger King, ranted on and on about how they should have a dollar menu just like other "normal" fast food restaurants; "this is ridiculous.  Why would anyone buy food there?  Why isn't there another fast food restaurant here?  This is just wrong!!!"  (It's funny that the price of things matter when they're spending their own money.)

We approached the line, William handed SK her backpack, and I launched into my regular speech as the children rolled their eyes and lip synced along with me,  "Have fun; remember who you are; be true to yourself."  As this was Sarah Katherine's first college trip alone I added, "Don't screw up--you have the world at your feet; do not give colleges a reason not to take you.  You have worked hard to have the choices you are going to have; don't blow it."  Then I took her face in my hands and kissed her forehead.  We both had tears in our eyes, although I tried to hide them.  I hugged her fiercely,  smiled at her and sent her towards the line.  She started down  continually glancing over her shoulder.

William, "Mama you're crying!!!!"  Christopher, "Of course she is.  You know Mama, this time next year she won't be going for just a weekend."  "Yep," added William, "She'll be long gone."  (I just love my sensitive caring boys...)  "Let's go, "  I snapped.

We all turned one more time to look at SK; just as we did she again looked over her shoulder.  She was almost to the front of the security line, the place was packed and Christopher yells out, "Hope you remembered your emergency tampons!!!"  He turned to me and said, "Now we can go."

No comments: