31 October 2013

Halloween--Well it is Georgia/Florida

Every Halloween I remember with a smile, Halloween 2003.  The story actually starts in early September at the final St. Paul's in the Park Wednesday night picnic dinner.

I was in the middle of my "I know everything and I will judge everyone 30's" and that particular night I was waxing on and on about why people over use cell phones and how they really aren't needed.  My very patient and loving friends who had older children just smiled and allowed me to think I knew everything.  As I was in the middle of my soliloquy, we heard a scream and Caroline yelled, "Mama I can see William's bones!"  And that she could--William had fallen off the wall and well, let's just say it was one of those moments when you didn't look around and ask others whether they thought you should take him to the hospital.

Now Chris was still at work; Christopher was at football practice and I was trying to figure out how to get information to them.  Janie and Pam, both smiled, held out their cell phones and said, "Would you like to borrow this?"  As Fr. James was getting William into my car I ran up the hill to tell Sarah Katherine that I was going to the hospital and Miss Janie would take her home.  She responds, "Well I just hurt my foot.  I should go with you."  At this point in her life, SK was a bit melodramatic and liked a little more attention than she does now.  Really who could blame her--she had three younger siblings--I'm sure she did feel ignored, but that's between her and her future therapist.  Anyway, I briefly looked at it, said it was fine, got confirmation from Pam and Janie that I shouldn't worry about it and left for the hospital.

That night every time I called Chris he told me that SK kept complaining about her foot but he thought she was fine.  He was actually a bit annoyed she kept getting out of bed. William and I got home very late after having to have his arm surgically set; I was exhausted and morning came far too soon.  When Sarah Katherine got up she limped into the den in a very dramatic fashion.  In my mother of the year voice I said, "You know if your foot is broken you can't dance in the Nutcracker this year."  She looked up at me and said, "Do you think you can get your money back?"  And with that I loaded up the four children and headed back to the hospital.

X-rays were done and the doctor walked in, "I'm so glad you got her in right away.  She's broken her growth plate and needs to be completely non weight bearing.  I'm sending you right up to the orthopedist.  She may need surgery."  We left the room and headed to the elevator where I heard one nurse say to another, "That looks like a new cast on the little boy."  "Yes," said the other, "They were just here last night."  I pictured our charts with big red X's on them, and I kept glancing over my shoulder and quickening my pace as I was certain that at any moment a social worker would flag me down. I reminded the children that both breaks happened at the picnic in front of other people and were accidents--okay I was trying to make myself feel better.  I didn't.  As we headed upstairs I kept telling myself no one else at the picnic thought SK's fall  was serious--I still didn't feel better.

Fast forward one month and we had the first snow of the year.  Yes, in Pittsburgh it started snowing in early October every year we lived there.  Natives kept telling me how unusual it was--I wasn't buying it.  Anyway, SK was still on crutches and William was still in a cast.  I was at Bible study and received a call from SK's school (yes, I now had a cell phone).  "Sarah Katherine slipped in the hall and I think there may be something wrong with her arm." said the nurse.  So again, I gathered up the three younger children, rushed over to the school, and headed back to Children's.  (There was a very good reason they were able to begin funding another wing while we lived in Pittsburgh.  Construction stopped when we moved to Virginia--seriously.)  Sure enough, her arm was broken.  Seems her crutches got wet while on the playground and she slipped coming back into the hall. So now I had an 8 year old who was non-weight bearing with a broken arm, a six year old, a four year old and a three year old.  People wonder why my biceps are so toned.  We left the hospital and headed straight for Toys-R-Us where I could both assuage my guilt with new toys and buy a wagon.

When Chris got home that evening he immediately said he would cancel his trip with his good friend Jeff Ball at the end of the month.  I really wanted him to be able to go; he doesn't ask for much--to attend at least one Georgia football game a year and the Big East Tournament--I couldn't bear to ask him to stay.  So I called fairy godmother Anne Rowland and asked her to fly out for Halloween.  Absolutely she said.

Halloween was on Friday that year.  Anne arrived and we took the four children bundled in coats (still snowing) out to trick or treat.  I had very wisely bought a double size wagon--plenty of room for candy bags and chubby three year old tired legs.  We began trick-or-treating.  Halloween in Virginia Manor in Pittsburgh is an experience.  It is packed with families and there are pick-up trucks driving around with kegs in the back--welcome to Pittsburgh!  You're no longer living in the Bible belt.  Standing outside of one house we began a conversation with several parents--mostly men--Halloween does seem to be a "daddy holiday."  One of the men we knew and he asked where Chris was.  I explained that he was at a football game.  The man seemed quite surprised, "He went to a football game instead of being here for Halloween?"  At this SK,my usually extremely respectful child to every adult other than me, spoke up with a somewhat incredulous tone that clearly said how could anyone  be so stupid and even question this, "Well it is Georgia/Florida."

We propped her up well for the picture!

No comments: