22 October 2015

Caroline's Wedding--Part II

We had just picked SK up from the airport (read made a HUGE spectacle of ourselves even prompting a security guard to loudly "Ma'am" Caroline as she broke all kinds of airport security rules crossing the line, running in her heels (it wasn't graceful) to get to her sister) and we were in the car heading home (read to see the brothers who although they desperately miss their sister did not think getting up at the crack of dawn on fall break, making signs, and getting yelled at by security was a good idea) to reunite the entire O'Doyle clan. SK was filling us in on her pledge training...

"I really like it," she was telling us, "although some of it is kind of goofy." (Okay she didn't say "goofy" but I can't remember what she said and chances are it wasn't G rated.)  "In our national newsletter there was an article on how to incorporate KD into your wedding." I'm pretty sure I rolled my eyes as I thought, "Did I even get a picture at my wedding of all the Chi O's?  Surely I did. (beginning to feel a sick panic in my stomach) I'll have to check when I get home." (Nope, I didn't.)  I was distracted, but quickly refocused as I heard Caroline ask, "How would you do that?"  "Well," said SK, "Something about the colors on the place settings."  At this I resolutely entered the conversation, "We don't have to worry about that since you won't be having a sit down dinner."

Caroline straightened up very quickly, "What do you mean?"  SK, I KNOW rolled her eyes, and said in a somewhat sarcastic although I secretly believe she agrees with me tone, "Only Yankees ("yankees" drawn out in a definite southern drawl) have sit down dinners.  We will not be having them."  "What are you talking about?" Caroline asked panic becoming apparent. (apparently forgetting she was only 15 and had no boyfriend--but clearly has been planning her wedding for awhile (Caroline's wedding part I)

SK looked at her incredulously, "Don't you get all the pictures and texts Mama sends whenever she officiates or goes to a wedding about what we will and won't do?"  Caroline clearly offended, "No I don't.  Why don't I?"  (I admit it; I might at times send "ideas" or definite "not if we're paying for it" texts...they say admitting is the first step...oh and I send lots of good ideas of things we HAVE to do). At this Chris joined the conversation (see I'm not the only crazy one that gets drawn into these far fetched conversations), "You don't want a sit down dinner. You want it where everyone can walk around and people don't get trapped sitting at tables with people they don't know or like."  Without missing a beat Caroline evilly said, "Oh yes I do.  I want to put all the good people with all the good people and the bad people with all the bad people so they'll know just how bad they are."

I really have no words....

Three days later...driving past a store with wedding dresses in the window Caroline says, "Grandma wants me to wear some big poofy wedding dress." (See even Grandma gets drawn in...) "Why does she want you to wear that kind of dress?"  I asked thinking I knew the answer--Grandma and I have been obsessed with royal weddings for as long as we've known each other; I was thinking a princess look.  Caroline, "I don't know.  I guess she wants me to look like a cupcake."




No comments: